13/05/2009

"I just wanted to tell you that I’ve lost 10 stone ...”

... said the woman on the train last Wednesday morning.

“It’s taken me three years mind you and I’ve still got three stone to go. If I can do it, you can do it too. By the way, nice documentary. I laughed all the way through it, and cried a bit. Is your mother taking orders for her Sunday dinners of meat and 17 veg?”

I had to stop myself from asking if I could lick her, just so I could taste what dietary success tastes like. Instead I just smiled, extended my sincere congratulations – mixed with a genuine side of awe – and felt humbled that someone – anyone – had tuned in to watch me cry, sigh and giggle lots over my inability to say no to dips on the graveyard slot.

Later I found out that almost two million actually watched me without make-up on, getting sad and mad in equal measures on BBC One last Tuesday night. Can you imagine what that feels like?

Here are some words which may do the enormity of such madness justice – Mad. Odd. Weird. Wonderful. Insane. Anti-climactic.

Since the documentary Fix My Fat Head aired, hundreds of people have written to me to share their opinions on their lives in the fat lane, thoughts on yours truly or to offer me free “treatment” in something or other.

And when I say hundreds, last time I filed them all together to at least start to thank people for their kindness, even if they were kicking me in the teeth, it totalled 765. That’s 765. And again, 765!

The responses have thrilled me, tickled me, and some brought tears to my eyes; others were annoying, way too personal, rude and left me wondering if I’d actually been fronting a Panorama special on paranoia instead of a light-hearted film on what it’s like to feel judged by your size and not any other aspect of your self (sic).

I’ve had comments about my “fabulous/rubbish” boobs, my “great/80s” big hair, how I look “awful” without make-up on but “don’t worry, everyone does… thanks for showing it like it is, Han”, to how “gorgeous” I am but “how much more attractive” I could become if I cut out salt (eh?!).

Some have offered to help me find God and then She, doubtless a 25st power walker from Abertillery, would in turn help me relearn the rules of the Atkins diet. I’ve had hypnotherapists wanting me to give it another shot with them, a LighterLife magazine through the door, flowers delivered (but no Greggs cheese and onion pasties, funnily enough), cards posted, an offer to have my portrait painted, and reviews written in the Press by people who’ve, by and large, been kind, gracious and totally “got” what I was doing.

I’ve even been on the radio, in the papers, done photoshoots, and people are actually taking bets on me getting Fern Briton’s job on This Morning. I gave a quote about it saying something flippant like “Go on the sofa with Phil? Well, sitting down is my favourite pastime... sure, why the hell not” with my tongue firmly in my cheek.

While all this has been going on, life has happened. Know what I mean?

And the battle between choosing fruit over a muffin for breakfast is still every bit as real... only people in Marksies are watching.

To misquote Heidi Klum on Project Catwalk, one minute you’re in, the next you’re back to being a blot on the landscape of your own life.

One day you’re on telly, the next you’re back in the day job answering the phone, deleting spam email, wondering where the next compliment or snide aside will come from.

The good stuff feels like it’s all happening to my slimmer, wittier, prettier, more showbiz twin sister… rather than to ME, the REAL Han, who lives in the land of the living and the bill paying and the train catching and the deadline meeting and the navel gazing and the calorie counting.

But it’s liberating to know I can now bump into anyone I was in school with and don’t have to pretend they’re not going to bang on about how fat I’ve become behind my back. At least now I can walk with my low-lying belly held high.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Hannah, no not another fruit loop about to offer you the ANSWER!!! just to say I think you are a totally amazing woman. I think you need to be a bit kinder to yourself.
I came across the book 'Beyond Chocolate'a year ago now which is nothing about choc at all actually - just way of living and having a healthy'normal' relationship with food and your body.No fads or hypnosis just YOU sorting out your own head if you like!
NO I've not lost weight but I feel more sorted and food has lost its power over me. I love life and I'm living it again.
www.beyondchocolate.co.uk
Best wishes Nikki E

She Means Well... said...

You have obviously touched a nerve with a lot of us Hannah. Those of us who, til recently, have been largely ignored, ridiculed or occasionally wheeled out a a token PC Fatty. Goiod for you!

I shall continue to follow your blog with great pleasure - I love the way you write - and look forward to the next thrilling installment.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I've switched my blog from the old and boring-titled http://ajm-online.blog.com to a new one at http://shemeanswellbut.blogspot.com

If you feel like paying a visit, I'd be honoured to welcome you and treat you to a "strictly virtual" cuppa tea and slice of fruitcake.

Anonymous said...

Hi Han

I'm just sitting at my desk stuffing Fruittella's (and yes it is spelt with two t's) into my mouth, and I wanted to say thank you for doing such a cool tv show, very whitty and I'm now enjoying your blog as a knock on effect.

Keep blogging. x

Food Addict said...

I too have lost 10 stone.

Lost 1 stone, put on 1.5.
Lost 1 more stone, put on another 1.5...

This does of course mean that my 10 stone weight loss shows on the scales as a 5 stone gain...

Thanks for making me smile about my ever-growing girth. Nobody has ever been able to do that before!!

xx

Hannah Jones said...

ha! got to love that up and down weight loss thing. Like a cock-eyed yoyo. Lovely to have and read these comments, girls. And I'll hold you to that virtual slice of cake, She Means Well. Off to eat my body weight in Fruitellas now....